Friday, May 4, 2012

Day One On The Bike

Taking the advice of Paul and Leslie I decided to head out of my was to visit Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. The skies were grey and the temps hardly hit 40 degrees but weather aside I was glad to be on the bike. As I started making my way towards Bar Harbor I took notice to the rolling hills and the weight of my bike, all signs that I was just starting my trip and not yet adjusted to the bike. Within an hour the skies opened up and the rain began to fall. At this time I was still in high spirits and told myself a rainy day on the bike is better than a sunny day in the office. Fast forward two hours or so I was. Still on the bike but now I was completely soaked to the bone and was looking for a refuge from the cold wet rain.

The road to Bar Harbor was a quite country road so when I crossed an old General Store I quickly pulled in. As I approached the door a saw a hand made sign that read CLOSED FOR WINTER. I was devastated, I decided I wouldn't get back on the bike until I got warmed up. I tried to seek refuge by hiding behind one of the stores wall while I made a cup of coffee.

After the cup coffee and still cold a ever I knew I needed to get back on the bike. I continued riding into the driving rain and strong headwinds. Occasionally a large truck would buzz by splashing a wave of water all over me, I think they call this insult to injury .
After going back and forth with myself I decided to abandon my plans for Bar Harbor and stay the night in Ellsworth. I found a cheap motel and attempted to warm up and dry out. I walked across the street to the grocery store to buy something for dinner and a cold beer. It wasn't until the next morning that I looked at the bottle cap from my beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment