Friday, May 4, 2012

To Portland

I woke up and broke camp. After my tent was packed up I sat on a picnic bench overlooking the lake and made some breakfast. I thought to myself that this is why I tour, this is what makes it all worth it. I finished my oatmeal and hit the road. My goal was to make it to Portland that evening, which seemed very doable. The previous day Kaitlin researched Warm Showers and found a host in Portland I could stay with. I was making good time and was in high spirits. I finally was starting to feel stronger on the bike, the climbs seemed smaller and my 100lb behemoth didn't seem all that heavy.

Before I arrived in Portland I passed through Freeport, home to L.L. Bean. I knew I couldn't come to Maine without making the pilgrimage to the Mecca of adventure outfitters. L.L. Bean lived up the reputation of all those who recommended it, including the late Charles Kuralt.

I made it to Portland around six and had no problem finding my host house. Steve and Nancy were about the age of my parents and very kind to take me in on such short notice. After a hot shower, Steve offered to show me around the town while Nancy finished preparing supper. Steve and Nancy are no strangers to touring, they started in their twenties with a trip across the U.S. and haven't stopped. They have toured in over 25 countries including, most of Europe, India, Thailand, Iceland , to name a few. We spent the night sharing stories as I tried to absorb as much knowledge as I could.

Steve and Nancy are people I really admire. They have chosen to make cycling a part of their life. They carve out time every year to take a trip somewhere and when they are not touring they are hosting other cyclists. They have rejected the idea of what the "American Dream" is and have set out to make their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment