Friday, May 4, 2012

Onward

After a rough start on the bike I was determined today was going to be a better day. I slipped into slightly damp bibs and jerseys and pedaled south from Ellsworth. Although the humidity was high and winds were cold I was glad to be out of the rain. I began to get into the groove of riding and putting some miles behind me. The ride was beautiful as the road hugged the rocky coast of Maine. I passed through town after town of small fishing villages and always took the time to stop in and talk to the locals. Shop owners would talk to me about everything from the best places to eat, local politics, and of course the best route to take south.

At the end of the day I found myself in Rockland. I went into town to restock on supplies and find a place to stay. Everyone I spoke with told me that all of the campsites were still closed for the winter and no one jumped at the chance to host a dirty cyclist. I saw a couple patches of woods that I thought might make suitable places to lay low for the night but after further investigation I decided against them.

In a last ditch effort I went into a Subway to hopefully gain some information. The young girl behind the counter was very nice in taking my order, as she assembled my sandwich
I took the opportunity to ask about a place to stay. She took a minute and then told me about a park up the road. She said that your not really allowed to camp there but she was pretty sure she saw people do it before. The sun was setting fast so I took her advice. The park turned out to be a beautiful spot right on a lake with old homes perched high on the surrounding hills. I found a spot out of view and pitched my tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment